Last Saturday I was out in the wee early morning hours with our whole neighborhood participating in our community garage sale. I was manning our garage for a good 4 hours with some decent cash flow after it was all said and done, but I did have to meander next door to see what my neighbor had out for sale. Well, I saw these two old dining room chairs that her dad was selling for $35 for the pair. I am starting to put together my wardrobe room (yes I know it is absolutely ridiculous that my clothes need a playroom, but they do!) and I wanted to have a couple of zebra print chairs to lounge around in when I was putting outfits together. So, I snatched up the two chairs and came up with a DIY plan to get them into tip top shape for my new room. I have to give my mom most the credit for the DIY plan because she taught me how to change chairs when I was in college and I wanted to change my decor every other week. She is a wonderfully talented decorator! I will be doing a post later when my room is completely finished and I hope you guys love it. It is coming along quite well if I do say so myself! Anyways, back to these chairs!
Here is the chair. It is not very pretty but I thought it had TONS of potential!
What you will need for this project:
A Creative Mind
The first thing I did was unscrew the seat and detach from chair.
Next I had to decide on the fabric that I wanted to use to recover the seats. I chose zebra print! You will see more of why I chose this when I reveal my finished wardrobe room. I bought one yard of this fabric for $15 and that was enough to cover two chairs. You will also need your heavy duty staple gun here to staple fabric over all fabric. Make sure you tuck the sides in well but not too tight or the fabric will look too stretched over the cushion. Pulling the corners in is the hardest part, but I just keep folding the fabric over itself then staple into place.
After recovering the seat cushion, I went to Lowe's to pick up a can of white flat spray paint. Then I went to town in my garage!
I let the chair sit for about two hours before I brought it inside. I then attached the seat cushion back to the chair with electric screwdriver and voila! A custom made chair!
So I am sure you guys noticed the bright blue aqua on the walls! This is the color I picked for the entire room which I know seems crazy, but you will love it when I show you the finished room! I promise!
So at the end of the day I made over two chairs from my neighbor's garage sale for about $60 total. Not bad!!